"When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds: Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive, and you discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be." - Patanjali

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Sacfirices

With anything of great magnitude, a measure of one's committment to the task can be what is given up to achieve it. I look at my situation, and see what I have gien up, what I am giving up today, and what I will be giving up in the next half year or so.

For the last five or six months, more often than not, I would be at work on a Sunday, plying away, by myself, all so I can charge double time (would I do it for anything less?) for those hours. I've effectively worked a six day week. I missed out on classes I could have gone to, time at home with the family, time with friends. In fact, I could have changed jobs, earnt more, started a "career", yada yada yada...

This afternoon I was at CK's place, and aftre biksha with the Brahmacharis, there was a camp meeting. Had I been around, this is one thing, I would almost be running. Similarly, theres the Intensive, and it would have been great being there. I will most certainly miss this place and all these people when I'm away.

The simple argument, though, is that I will be experiencing and doing so much more than what people ever get the chance to do. That I find it ok to stop my routine life for this time period and go on an adventure, is unique, and given the chance, almost everyone would do it. So I'm fortunate to be in this position. The only thing though, is that I could bottle up the events of my familial and friends lives, and keep it with me over there. Its selfish, for sure, but these are the reasons why I will come back.

So to all those with weddings, engagements, 21sts, I'm sorry I can't be there, but I assure you that I'll make up for it when I return. You can also live with the knowledge that I'm having the experience of a life time, and it takes such a thing to keep me away from you all....

No comments: