"When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds: Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive, and you discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be." - Patanjali

Friday, October 21, 2005

A Little Something About ME

So by now, I've been at this for about a month or so, and you're probably wondering who is this person, this writer of the pathetic, a patron of the moronic, a carrier of journalistic pestilence????

Well, let me then begin with the story of the Indianbookie. How did I get this name? To my cricket loving fans, the term Indian bookie is synonymous with Shane Warne, Mark Waugh and countless other highly esteemed cricketers, all under the omnipotent umbrella of match fixing. Essentially, it was a msyterious Indian bookmaker who provided cash payments of about US$100,000 or more to these high profile players for "information" on the state of the pitches, the weather, and other easily accessible material. In some cases the players were found guilty of actually accepting money to throw a game, or affecting the out come in some way.

So, one day, in the January of 2000, when India toured Australia after an absence of seven years or so, I was standing under the score board of the Sydney Cricket Ground during the third test, minding my own business, when, at about 5pm, a couple highly inebriated, larrikin Aussie blokes, looked at me, the colour of my skin and decided to ask a couple of questions...

yobbo no 1: yeah so this should be good...whats your name? I bet ya, it takes him about 20 minutes just to say it [laughing hysterically to his fellow yob]
yobbo no 2: hahah nah, I reckon its Sachin!
yobbo no 1: yeah, hows things the dressing room? couldn't hack gettin flogged???
yobbo no 1 & 2 are now in hysterics
yobbo no 2: or you know who he is???? he's the Indian bookie...hahaha...carn mate...how much did you pay em????

All the while I'm just standing there, hanging out, trying to avert embarrassment, as many eyes were pointed at me...I left the area just then and went home and sulked about losing and also about being made fun of, but then, with those of guy's I should have expected it.

At this point, I bet you're probably expecting me to come blazing with fierce determination to fight this racial profiling and make a stand and so on...but alas...no...I just adopted the name cos it sounded cool, and I couldn't be stuffed being another "star_prince15" or "w_a_r_r_i_o_r" or some other bull shit.

So here it is. Not flashy, not comendable, but a name, a nic...an identity, a me.

No comments: