"When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds: Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive, and you discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be." - Patanjali

Monday, October 03, 2005

Indian Railways (damn then!!!!)

So I thought I would finally sit down and do something about this trip of mine, and at least try and figure out where I'm going, when I get there, where I stay, what deodarant I use to fit in with the locals...

My major form of transport between cities will be train. They're a reliable (most of the times - this last time when I went to India, my train arrived in Delhi from Cal only 6 hours late; in 01, we were hangin out at Agra station for about 4 hours doing not much), efficient, cheap, not-so-clean, cheap, form of travel, where its quite easy to chat to a villian, who's probably trying to rip you off, or a business man on a business trip, who's probably trying to rip you off...

In anycase, I began by going to
http://www.indianrail.gov.in. Now if you want a word of advice, heres a couple. Don't go to this site! It took me forever to load, and once it did, the links of the pages led to nothing. Had I not actually been on a train in India, this really would not inspire any confidence in their trains. So I've given up on the webiste. In this day and age, I'm actually trying to find someone who may be coming from India in the next couple of months, so that I can use the hard copy - yes a 300 page book with all the times of every single train going from the one remote part of the country to another. But the website can't.

No comments: