"When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds: Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive, and you discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be." - Patanjali

Monday, October 10, 2005

The ideal time to help

The devastation as a result of the earthquake in the Kashmir region may well prove to be an opportunity on the national scale, where two countries can unite despite conflict and history. In the vision for humanity, insignificance will be seen for what it really is.

On an individual level too, there is an opportunity to rise to the wants of the needy, do ones bit. To donate money, to send blankets, old clothes. A more direct way is to go there. To be part of the efforts. To get ones hand dirty in helping the survivors. To aid and assist the Lifesavers, for they too need assistance. One could help themselves as well. To open ones heart and mind to the concept of sewa, that is, slefless service.

This is what I feel I too should do. I am currently confirmed for a Malasian Airlines flight on the 20th of November. A little under 6 weeks to go. I could quite possibly pre-pone that to two weeks away, fly straight to Delhi and make my way to the Indian north west.

As usual, though, there are BUTS…quite a few…how do I get there – landslides cover many roads. What will I do once there? Who will I stay with? I hope for an influx of foreigners, but what if that doesn’t happen? Is it safe? There are many questions here in Sydney as well: do I have enough money saved for the remainder of the trip? Will my parents be convinced of my safety? There are many hurdles, but then, there were many on the path to this point.

To get where I am, the seed was planted a while ago, and soon, with time, the idea manifested to an action, and now the last 6 months of my life centred around this Trip. Could I possible add an extra, completely unforeseen, exciting, redeeming, dimension to an already amazing plan? I certainly hope so. Like those who remain trapped under the rubble across the two countries, my fate may well be decided in the next 24- 48 hours.

Stay tuned…

No comments: