"When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds: Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive, and you discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be." - Patanjali

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Work defines Life

So, at work I got a promotion. Not a big promotion, but a promotion none the less. The perks which come with it are more money - again, not too big, but a rise non the less - more work, more responsibility and so on.

My issue is this: I am going to India for six, seven months, leaving in eight weeks from now. Were I staying, then yeah, sure I would have taken it and things would be fine. But the thing is, I don't want to take it, but becasue of that, my parents are not happy, thinking I'm wasting a great opportunity. And that may well be the case, but its also risk I'm willing to take.

But the one thing this points to is that work defines the lives we lead. Its primarily because of work we move cities or countries. Its becasue of work we can or cannot do the things we like. I'm not a big fan of that attitude. Maybe because I'm more risk-averse, not sure, but people should enjoy the freedom to live a life of their choosing. But then obviously to do this one needs money to survive, or one needs money for the basics.

The idea of being a full time back packer has always intrigued me. Maybe this trip is my mini-back packing life. Life would entail no responsibilities, no savings accounts, no insurance premiums or excess, no "i hate this person" or "i really want to be with that person"...life would be carefree and enjoyable and full of experiences.

Counter to this of course, is ones basic duty to family, and unless you win the lottery, how does one survive when they can no longer work. It is also said, the soul is freer when discipline is followed. All that stirred into one pot serves a meal with a big "no" to the idea of back packing. But finding a job which allows freedom or at least enjoyability is a must me thinks....

No comments: